Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Mask 2.0: Now with Less Suck

Updated 9/27:  I added the whites to the eyes.  Took about an hour per eye to hand-stitch in stretched out dollar store knee-high sock material.  Have a look:
(Intergalactic super hero by night.  Corporate cog by day...  And no one will ever be the wiser!) 

I'm not entirely pleased with how this looks.  I might try adding some black fabric over part of the whites to give it a better shape, but another part of me is saying to leave it alone so I don't potentially ruin all of my progress to date (maybe wait until some later project to make a Mark III from scratch).

In any event:  The next step is going to be the "profile" for the chest triangle.  I've got a few ideas.  Hopefully the first (and simplest) will be the one that works.  After that:  It's cape time!

Original Post:  So I decided that there were a lot of things I didn't like about the mask I made last night...  Which is to say the fact is was black was the only thing that really worked for me.

So, This evening I went back and modified the pattern some more to a) more closely reflect the ginormitude of my head and b) add some more Space Ghost specific details.  This is what I came up with:


The main things I changed were making the neck larger (both vertically and circumference) and adding what I was hoping would end up looking like the chest emblem.

Here's how it turned out:


I'm much happier with this one.  The chest emblem curled up a bit, but I think the addition of the red profile should help that (and if it doesn't, I'll velcro it to the body suit).  I also think I did an infinitely better job on the eyes.

So, tomorrow I'll try and get the eyes done and hem what looks like it needs hemming.

No comments:

Post a Comment